I've posted before about my obsession with Tofu. I know that some people shudder at the thought of eating Tofu, but its a great thing to cook with! It's basically a blank canvas and the possibilities are endless! So here (finally) is my step by step recipe for my Cilantro Lime Tofu (with pictures)!
1) First you need Tofu. EXTRA FIRM is best. Personally it holds better once it has been in the freezer overnight. Thaw it by submerging in a simmering pot of water for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain water and press excess water out by covering with paper towels, a towel and something flat and heavy over top for 10-15 minutes (cover with a plate and add some weight from an empty pan or heavy can.
2) Get your other ingredients together: soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed red peppers, garlic salt, self rising flour, and the juice of one lime. Not Pictured was the cilantro
3) Drizzle sesame oil and soy sauce over tofu and gently mix. Then add garlic salt, red peppers, cilantro, and juice. Mix again and let it marinade 15 minutes.
4) Sprinkle in 2-3 tablespoons of self rising flour in and mix together making sure you coat each piece well.
6) Heat Vegetable Oil between medium and medium-high heat.
7) Let the cooking commence!! cook until the bottoms are golden and then flip them/turn them.
8) They are lookin' good! once the other side is golden you can remove from heat.
9) Drain excess oil on a paper towel.
10) Don't forget to sprinkle with a little bit of salt right after they come out of the oil
11) Now you're done...ready to chow down yet?!
I love this recipe. It is so great, so fast, and so easy...its pretty addicting!!!