It was actually finished over a week ago, Where I wore it to Hero Con in Austin, TX! It took what felt like a lifetime to make, but boy oh boy did I learn a lot! The experience of making and wearing a full armored cosplay is one that I will surely not forget. EVER. From shaping, sealing, painting the foam for the armor, to figuring out how to attach pieces together and how to get them to stay on your body. Whew! It was a humbling experience.
Tried the armor on, but didn't wear the wig or makeup this time.
Here is a picture of me and my son from Hero Con. My Faora, and his Borderlands Psycho (which I made for him as well.).
|Faora, meet Psycho...|
Building isn't my forte, sewing is. And while I had a lot of fun building this armor, I am definitely going to stick to my strong point for the next 2 or 3 costumes I make. I am not avoiding fabrication, I just want to work on some easier costumes for a bit. I will definitely work more on fabrication, but maybe on a slightly smaller scale. I can do fabricated accessories, even a piece of armor or two, but not whole body armor. Its almost mid June and its already mid 90's here in Texas. I don't want to burn alive in armor anyways!
|working on my angry Kryptonian face|
|shin guards and knee armor|
|I did have a blast creating this part of the armor|
|Leg pieces (that I later had to reduce in size)|
As I stated above, the progression of the armor was very difficult. The hardest part of the entire thing was the breastplate armor thingie. I had never created such a large piece of armor before. I saved it for last because I really had no idea where to start. Below are progressive shots of me working on it.
Creating a breast shape alone was tricky, but after multiple tries, It got molded as good as I could get it and it worked out decently.
After getting the basic shape for the vest/chest thingie, I ran into another concern. I had no idea where to start with making a collar!! Masking tape and duct tape held it all down and in place until i got the shape I wanted. Then contact cement came in.
After I got my details on, I sealed my foam with white glue (4 or 5 layers I think) and began painting. I feel like My weathering skills are improving, but I completely suck at battle damage. Eh, baby steps, y'know?!
The chest/vest thingie after my first bit of weathering.
*Things I Learned:
- Contact cement is THE BEST adhesive for attaching foam together. Superglue is alright for small detailed pieces, but contact cement or Barge Cement (the best of the two) give a strong hold.
- Always use more than one method of attaching armor. Having only one method leaves you vulnerable in the event that you have an issue with that one attachment.
- The thinnest foam you should use is 5mm when it comes to armor. The thicker it is, the more durable, and 5mm is borderline too thin. 2mm is great for adding details over your base, but you definitely want your armor to be sturdy and thick enough.
- When weathering your pieces, do it all together. I initially finished the smaller pieces and weathered them as they were finished. That left me with groups of armored pieces that didn't match. I ended up having to go over them all anyways to make them even. That will save you A LOT of time. Trust me.
All in all, I am definitely proud of this armor. With all of the lessons I've learned, in the next several months I expect to work on a small piece, although I have no clue what that would even be just yet.
Nerdy love to ya!